Thursday 23 October 2014

5 questions you should ask yourself every day

This is part 23 of my 'Led By Heart' series for the 31-day writing challenge. You can find the list of all my 31 posts here. Click here to check out the other participating blogs!



How often do we go through our day without pausing at least once to catch our breath, take a step back and think about what we're doing?

If you're like me, you're able to rush through the day, think about five hundred things at once - none of them being what you're doing at that moment, let yourself be distracted by whatever comes, and in the end find yourself irritated, asking where have all the hours gone? Before I began my awareness practice, very often I would become stuck in some - not exactly important - activity, many minutes would pass and when I looked back it was difficult for me to recall in detail what I'd been doing. That's how far I was able to get from the present moment. And from my priorities.

I am convinced that if we want to lead meaningful, fulfilling lives, we need to start paying much more attention to what we're doing. In other words, we must be aware. Conscious. To help with that, I've come up with 5 questions we can ask ourselves throughout the day to make sure that we're on the right track, making the most of our time, and doing something that will lead to our greater happiness, too.




And the first question, then, must be:

#1 am I present? 
And am I aware?
You'll probably ask yourself this after a while of a mental past/future diversion. And that's okay. Being present takes practice like anything else. And you will get better. Let's take this question as a present-reminder. Remember, this moment is the only one you really have. And I know you've probably heard this many times before, but do take the time to meditate on this truth. Your remaining in the past or future can only bring you suffering, disappointment and a fruitless life.

#2 how am I feeling?
Do you know at all? I know I used to go through my day not having a clue how I was feeling! And then something would happen and all of a sudden I would realize (sadly, due to my overreaction) that I'd been upset or stressed the whole time.
Take a deep breath, put your hand over your heart if you want, and ask yourself... Am I okay, right now, with what I'm doing? Is there a tension, discomfort or pain somewhere in my body? Am I relaxed and feeling calm? If not, why not?
Pray a little bit or ask your heart what you should do to get your joy back.

#3 am I doing what's really important?
And am I doing my best?
In other words, are you doing what you should be doing based on your personal priorities? What are you devoting your time to? Is this activity going to benefit anyone? Is it going to make your life better in any way? Is it absolutely necessary? If not, find the strength and awareness in yourself to get away from it now!
And if you are doing something meaningful, then are you giving it your best? Not in a perfectionistic kind of way, but in a way that won't cause you any regrets in the future.

#4 am I doing something for others?
Have I or am I about to serve someone today?
You know it: No man is an island, entire of itself... We are in this together (this = existence on this planet and all). And I believe that we really should help each other out as often as we can, and learn to truly love people. If you are a Christ-follower, you know that this is His most important and most powerful message: "...that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples..."
Your service doesn't have to be anything big. You could make someone's day by a simple compliment, by being a good listener, by giving your time and a helping hand to them.

#5 am I being authentic?
In other words, are you following your heart? Are you doing what you know in your heart is right?Are you saying what needs to be said? Standing up for yourself and others?
Are you expressing yourself in a way that is natural to you, or are you constantly worried about your image, the opinions of others, about what's "appropriate"? Do you let fear dictate how you're going to behave?
Make a decision that you're going to set yourself free and start exploring what is your natural, your happy and your best!


Share with me in the comments which of these questions you'd like to incorporate in your daily life!


Lots and lots of...
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Such great questions. I especially love the one about being authentic. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I've been thinking about what is really important.

    ReplyDelete