Tuesday 21 October 2014

The Frightening Message: You can do it

This is part 21 of my 'Led By Heart' series for the 31-day writing challenge. You can find the list of all my 31 posts here. Click here to check out the other participating blogs!



I wouldn't be surprised if you all have seen this video already (it's been watched by over 11 million people), but I thought I would share it anyway. It's just so tremendously inspiring and uplifting that even if only one of my readers got to see it for the first time thanks to my post, it would be totally worth it. It's a little documentary about one man who suffered from all kinds of health problems, got morbidly obese, and was told he would never walk. And he decided not to give up.

Yes, it's a simple story, and could be considered a cliché by some. And yet, millions of people got drawn to it and became fascinated by it.

We love "the success stories" and we love to cheer for those who make it happen. But sometimes I think... that we kind of end there. There's this thought at the back of our heads saying "that's them, not me..." And it could be about any, even a small thing we would like to change in our lives.

I love what Arthur says in the second video: that his message is a frightening one. You can do it. It is possible. 

Why frightening? Because it's uncomfortable: Now that I know that I can do it, I have to get up and get moving. And not just once, but regularly, as often as possible. And it's going to be hard. I'm going to have to sacrifice some other things that are more fun. Not everybody is going to like what I'm doing. I'll have to spend a lot of time doing it. Maybe I'll fail.

And so on and on.

The mind will come up with countless excuses and reasons why not. And sometimes we are weak and we let it convince us that there's no point trying or we give up shortly after we started.

That's why this video is so important. It has the power to remind us that those reasons and excuses are lies. Simply and clearly.

I hope you'll be inspired by this story as much as I was - and still am. Let me know in the comments what you thought!








post signature

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't ever seen the video :) So inspiring! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very true in my own life--I constantly am afraid to challenge myself to do something new or difficult because I am afraid of failure and embarrassing myself. I always want people to think I know what I am doing :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen this one before, and it is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete