Friday 31 October 2014

So you'd like to take part in a blogging challenge...

This is part 30 of my 'Led By Heart' series for the 31-day writing challenge. You can find the list of all my 31 posts here. Click here to check out the other participating blogs!



As I'm approaching the end of the writing challenge, there are a lot of things I'm becoming more and more aware of. Most of all: how glad I am that I decided to do this. Over the years at university, composing utterly unexciting, rigorous essays, I completely forgot I actually love to write. And all of a sudden my long buried dreams of becoming... well... something of a writer, are coming back to me and they feel so irresistible. I don't know where all of this is leading. I don't know what's waiting for me behind the next bend of the road. But I suspect that whatever it is, it will find me writing. Creating.

I just love the term 'wordsmith'. If I dared to have a wish, it would be to become one - a master of words. Someone who's able to use them for the best kind of communication, the one between two hearts.


Here's what I've learnt about/thanks to writing and creating consistently for an entire month: 

#1 You can do this!
Did I think I could do this when I started? Probably not. But honestly, I didn't give it much thought, I just knew I had to try!
And you can do it, too! It is definitely doable, though it helps a lot if you have someone who will hold you accountable and who will push you a little bit when the original excitement drops and you waver in your determination.

#2 To make a habit of writing, make it non-negotiable
I simply decided that I will write no matter what. I turned it into a normal, everyday activity, just like making dinner or exercising. Perhaps it takes "the magic" of it a little bit, but if you're like me - inconsistent and lacking a substantial discipline - this is absolutely necessary.

#3 When the impulse comes, don't overthink it
I personally find that the first little idea is usually the best. Also, when you come across something that excites you and makes your heart beat faster and suddenly gives a lot more meaning to your day - and it could be in any area of your life - you should go for it. If you stop and think about all the possible difficulties and setbacks, or decide that you won't start until you have everything carefully planned out, the odds are your will never do it. Allow yourself to go with the flow. Do the first small step and then let life surprise you!

#4 No, it really doesn't have to be perfect - and it won't be!
Yep, I really had to get rid of my perfectionism for this challenge. I had to write fast and just get it done. And it's sooo liberating to hit that publish button and not worry about re-reading it one more time or re-writing that difficult paragraph. Because really, who says it should be perfect? And what is 'perfect' anyway? I decided to create my own 'perfect', which is 'written from the heart, with intention to connect to others and help them as much as I can, and have fun doing it!'.

#5 Keeping all your other priorities in mind is essential, though!
Make sure that you do not become too absorbed in your creative process or in the online world. Don't you have a family to feed and a house to clean? I know... but seriously, I had to remind myself sometimes that there are actual, real people in my life who need my attention, time, love and care - and a lot of it, too. So just schedule your daily tasks cleverly.

#6 Trust the process
Once again, you don't have to have it all figured out and planned out. Trust yourself and the source of your inspiration. Start with the first thing that catches your attention and see where it'll lead you. Try to be a little more spontaneous in your writing. Give your inner creativity some space to expand and bloom, spend quality alone-time, surround yourself with beautiful, inspiring objects, go out into the nature... it might not happen over night, but eventually you'll be able to get into the flow much more easily.

#7 It's good to live what you write
To me, that's a matter of personal integrity. If you post some tips on improving your life or advancing your spiritual practice, you should make sure they really work for you and follow through with them. It's so easy to give people advice, we all seem to be experts on solving other people's problems, right? Make sure to start with yourself. After all, having our life as an example is the best advertisement.

#8 Make art a habit, not a chore
Don't exhaust yourself. That creative part of you needs to rest and recharge from time to time. If you want to get serious about your writing, you'll have to make it a habit, but it mustn't be something you have to do. Obligation kills imagination.


What do you do to stay creative? :)


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I've done the challenge for three years now. It has really helped me grow as a writer.
    So nice to meet you and visit your lovely blog,
    GiGi

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such fantastic points, many of which I have definitely thought about this month! I think for me the most difficult was remembering that I have obligations that must come first: family, housekeeping, etc. I tried to combat that by getting up an extra hour early, and it usually helped! Thanks so much for sharing your heart this series!

    ReplyDelete